Multi-sensor data fusion and filtering techniques
Multi sensor data fusion group of FMCD has developed advanced multi sensor data fusion techniques and algorithms for processing and fusing data from multiple sources to estimate accurate trajectories of airborne vehicles for defense applications. The group has developed algorithms for multi sensor single target tracking, multi-sensor multi-target tracking, detection and tracking maneuvering targets. These techniques and algorithms have been successfully employed in DRDO projects like Range Safety application at DRDO Integrated Test Range (ITR) facility and C4I (Command, Control, Communications and Computer Intelligence) national air defense program. Group has developed interacting multiple model seeker filter for air-to-air intercepting missiles to track highly maneuvering and evasive airborne targets. Seeker filter algorithm has been implemented and validated with air-to-air missile ‘ASTRA’ 6DoF interceptor-target simulation. Group has also developed artificial intelligence techniques and Bayesian networks for higher levels of data/information fusion to assess the threat in air combat situations.
- UD factorization based Kalman filter algorithm for sensor characterization
- Direct measurement fusion technique for fusion of data from similar sensors
- State vector fusion technique for fusion of data from dissimilar sensors
- Impact/launch point prediction for ballistic targets using Kalman filter and RTS smoother
- Interacting multiple model (IMM) algorithm for detection and tracking maneuvering targets
- Gating and data association techniques (Nearest neighbor Kalman filter and Probabailistic data association filter) for target tracking in clutter environments and multi target tracking
- Interacting multiple model (IMM) seeker filter for air-to-air intercepting missiles
- Artificial intelligence techniques and Bayesian networks for higher level of data/information fusion for threat assessment in air combat situation.
Facilities where this technique is used:
- Multi sensor target tracking algorithm is being used at central data processing division of DRDO integrated test range (ITR) facility in Chandipur, Orissa.
- Multi sensor multi target tracking algorithms are validated on C4I simulator for target-interceptor demo trials at DRDO, Hyderabad.
- IMM seeker algorithm implemented in ASTRA 6DOF simulation at DRDL.
Major mile stones / results of this technique:
- Multi sensor target tracking algorithm is being used at DRDO integrated test range (ITR) facility for range safety.
- Multi sensor multi target tracking algorithms are developed for national air defense program.
IMM seeker algorithm is developed for Indian air-to-air missile ‘ASTRA’.