Mr. Baskar Rao Mattapally obtained Master’s degree from IIT Roorkee, in Machine Design Engineering (2004) and B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering from University College of Engineering, Osmania University, Hyderabad (2002). He has been working with CSIR-NAL since April 2008, at Structural Technologies Division in various positions.
Prior to joining NAL, He worked at Aerospace Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore (2005-08) as Research Scholar. Worked on Structural Health Monitoring of Composite Structures using Fiber-Optic and Peizo based sensors.
He joined as a Scientist in Structural Integrity Group under Structural Technologies Division of CSIR-NAL in 2008. Later worked in IVHM group and currently working in Mechanical Systems Design Group.
His areas of work and research interests are:
- Currently works on Modelling & Simulation of Aircraft Mechanical Systems (Hydraulic Actuation Systems, Landing gear systems). Working on part from simulation activities, also involved in establishment of lab scale test facilities like Servo Hydraulic Actuation System test rig.
- Mechanical characterization of metallic and composite materials used in the aerospace industry for static and fatigue properties as per ASTM standard specifications through coupon level testing.
- Fatigue and damage tolerance studies on metallic and fiber reinforced composite materials.
- Life extension studies of metallic airframe structural components
He has experience in handling servo hydraulic universal testing machines of various capacities, strain gages, data acquisition system and various sensors used in mechanical testing activities, NDT&E and SHM.
Publications in International Conferences
- Baskar Rao Mattapally, S C Sharma“Influence of Geometric Shape of Recess on the Performance of a Six-pocket Hybrid Journal Bearing System”, 4th International Conference on Industrial Tribology, 15-18th Dec 2004, Mumbai, India
- Baskar Rao Mattapally, M R Bhat and C R L Murthy “Health monitoring of composite structures based on acoustic wave sensing using fiber optic sensors”, Proceedings of International Conference on Advanced NDE - ANDE , Korea, 2007
- Ramesh Bojja, N Jagannathan, Baskar Rao M, C M Manjunatha, “Life Prediction of a Fiberglass Reinforced Epoxy Composite Under Wind Turbine Blade Spectrum Load Sequence”, 2nd Int. Conf. on Materials for the Future, ICMF-2011, 23-25 Feb. 2011, Govt. college of engineering, Thrissur, Kerala, India.
Publications in National Conferences
- Baskar Rao Mattapally, M R Bhat and C R L Murthy“Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) Using Strain Gauges, PVDF Film And Fiber Bragg Grating (FBG) Sensors : A Comparative Study”, National Conference NDE-2006, Hyderabad
- Baskar Rao Mattapally, M R Bhat and C R L Murthy“Vibration-Based Damage Detection In Composite Structures Using Fiber Optic Sensors”, National seminar on Non-Destructive Evaluation, NDE- 2007, Vadodara
- Ramesh Bojja, N Jagannathan, B R Mattapally, K Padmalatha, C M Manjunatha, “Fatigue life prediction under helicopter rotor blade spectrum load sequence in a of fiberglass reinforced epoxy composite”, Nat. Conf. on Adv. In Mech. Engg., AIME-2011, 3-5 Jan. 2011, Manipal institute of technology, Manipal, Karnataka, India.
- M. Baskar Rao, Ramesh Bojja, N. Jagannathan, K. Padmalatha, C.M. Manjunatha, “Prediction of improved fatigue behavior of a GFRP nanocomposite under two-step block-load sequences”, Poster presentation, 3rd Nat. Conf. on Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology, 21-23 Dec. 2010, Amity Univ., Lucknow, Utharpradesh, India.
- K. Padmalatha, B R Matapally, Ramesh Bojja, C.M. Manjunatha, “ Fatigue life prediction under a transport aircraft spectrum load sequence in a fiberglass-epoxy composite”, NMD-ATM, IISc, Bangalore, 14-16 Nov. 2010, p 102, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
7. Facilities working on
- Servo Hydraulic Actuation System test rig
- UTM testing
- SHM and NDT&E
8. Techniques working on
- Structural Health Monitoring of Composite Structures
- Material Evaluation of metal and composites
- IVHM for Hydraulic actuation system
- Simulation studies of Hydraulic actuation systems and landing gear mechanical systems